Recipe: Molasses Cookies


If you like soft, chewy molasses cookies then you are going to love this recipe!  These molasses cookies also make wonderful holiday cookies.

Molasses Cookies

Makes: Approx. 3 dozen

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves {optional}

Directions:
  1. Cream together butter and sugar.  Add egg and molasses and mix well.
  2. In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.  Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
  3. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight {I like to wrap dough in plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator}.
  4. When ready to bake, remove dough from refrigerator and roll into 1-inch balls.  Roll in sugar and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

These sound delicious. Your cookies have such pretty crackled tops. If only my cookies would come out looking that way all the time.

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the comment, Lisa! I think the secret to the crackle top is rolling the cookies into balls. While they are spreading out in the oven you can see the lines in the cookies. When I take them out of the oven they are a little "puffed up" and after cooling they deflate and make the crackle look.

Sandy said...

MMMMMhhhh yummy yummy.
Sound is delicious.

Sandy #1

Rhonda said...

If you would box those up and send them over, that would be great! : )

Vanessa said...

LOL @ Rhonda. You should try this recipe! There is nothing like a "fresh from the oven" cookie and a glass of milk. :)

Dr. Laura Aridgides said...

Ohhh... I've never made cookies with molasses! I think I'll have to go get some to give these a try. They look wonderful! And, I love that they freeze well.

Thanks for sharing with Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday!!

Dr. Laura

Spyder said...

ohooo can't find woyww, but the cookies look nice!

akilli melek said...

now i'm hungry and i'm meant to be dieting...lol. Caroline #14

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Couldn't find your WOYWW, but love those cookies. They look tempting.

Julia Dunnit said...

Welcome to WOYWW - or kitchen counter - whatever. Haven't had molasses since I was a child - just not a big product here in the UK....now golden syrup might work as a sub...I might have to investigate!!

Vanessa said...

Julia--I love experimenting with cooking so I decided to google "substitute for molasses" and here is what I found:

For every 1 cup of molasses you can substitute with:

1 cup of dark corn syrup or maple syrup, or 3/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar or 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/4 cup of water.

The article that I read {http://frugalliving.about.com/od/makeyourowningredients/qt/Molasses_Sub.htm} mentioned that brown sugar was the best substitute because it is made from molasses and granulated sugar.

I'm not sure what you have available in the UK, but I hope that helps. Happy cooking!