Recipe: Foolproof Pie Crust

After a horribly embarrassing moment at a family Thanksgiving when my apple pie crust turned out a little too crunchy {ok....it was very crunchy}, I gave in and bought my first packaged pie crust.  I remember the moment well...I looked around to make sure no one was looking, quickly snatched it up and hid it under the cereal. 

The next year, I took my pumpkin pie with the ready-made pie crust to the family Thanksgiving dinner and confessed to my mom what I had done.  She looked at the pie with wide eyes and said, "you did?" 

I noticed this recipe from a fundraising cookbook from my alma mater, but was a little hesitant to try it.  It's a little scary to try something that's called "foolproof" when you know there is a good chance that you could prove that name wrong.  Throwing caution to the wind, I recruited some help and got to work. 

Foolproof Pie Crust

Makes one double-crust and one single-crust pie.

4 cups flour
1 3/4 cups shortening
1 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. vinegar
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Directions




1.  Mix flour, sugar and salt together.  My son is helping me mix the ingredients with his "smile spoon".







2.  Mix in shortening until crumbly.







3.  In a separate dish wisk vinegar, egg and water.  I used cider vinegar as that is what I had on hand.  Combine the vinegar mixture with the dry ingredients and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes or until ready to use up to one week.  Can also be frozen.




The results:



A delicious blueberry pie...but I'll save that recipe for another time.


Pin It

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Our first Thanksgiving I asked my mother in-law what she would like me to bring. She asked if I made my own pie crust. I answered no. She then said I could bring the wine. :) Yeah. It was one of 'those moments'! Oh well live and learn. I do now make my own pie crust but had a few flops along the way.

Your blueberry pie looks delish,
Teresa
Money Saving Maine-iac

Vanessa said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Teresa. :) There have definitely been times that I have felt inadequate as a cook, but I have definitely come quite a way from my days of being a newlywed when the only thing I could make really well was lasagna. :)

Walking on Sunshine... said...

This is the same recipe my sister uses and she swears by it as well. I just re-learned how to make pie crust myself and blogged about my experience with a horrible crust. I had been using store purchased pie crust for years and when I made the decision to try again to make my own I failed horribly. But thankfully I figured it out and it turned out really good. Thanks for the visit to my blog. I hope you enjoy the ham and cheese roll ups. They are an easy meal!

Vanessa said...

The ham and cheese rollups are on my meal plan for next week and if my picky eaters like them, the recipe will definitely be going in my recipe binder! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Delish! I love crust, after all. :) Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

Vicky said...

Thanks for sharing! I have always done store bought but this option looks great. I will have to give it a try. I am a new FB follower from The Gingerbread Blog. Vicky from Mess For Less

Vanessa said...

If I can make this crust, anyone can! It is so light and flaky--nothing like the ready-made crust. I enjoyed seeing some of the crafts you had on your blog and I'm following you back. :)

Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy said...

Awesome, thanks for sharing this! I'd love to have you link up at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2011/11/anything-goes-linky-party_17.html. Thanks again!

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the invite. I added my link and added your party to my linky list.

The Country Cook said...

I think we've all had moments like that. Then I learned about putting vinegar in pie crust and the heavens opened..lol. It really makes such a difference to get a flaky crust. This is a great recipe. Thank you SO much for sharing it over on Foodie Friday!! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!