Create With Kids: Pine Cone Bird Feeders



The boys and I made these pine cone bird feeders to give to their grandparents for Christmas gifts;  they would also make a fun family project for the backyard. 

This project does involve some cooking for older children and/or parents, but younger children can also get involved.  I had lots of help with measuring ingredients and scooping bird seed with a spoon.  By the time we were finished with this project, we had lots of fine motor practice and quite a bit of birdseed on the kitchen floor. :)

Our family collected pine cones for this project this past fall {here in the "Pine Tree State" we have an abundance of free pine cones!}, but I also noticed that our local Dollar Tree sold them in packages of six.  You can also find pine cones at most craft stores.


Pine Cone Bird Feeders

Makes: approx. 5-6 bird feeders

1 cup {250 mL} peanut butter
{be sure to use pb with no salt or sugar--I found this at my local health food store}
1/2 cup {125 mL} vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (125 mL} yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups {375 mL} birdseed
5 - 6 large pine cones
ribbon, string, or yarn

Directions:





1.  Melt peanut butter and shortening in small saucepan.   Add cornmeal; heat and stir for 3 to 4 minutes until well mixed.









2.  Transfer cornmeal mixture to shallow pie plate and roll pine cone in warm mixture using a rubber spatula to gently spread mixture in between the "petals" of the cones.




















3.  Put pine cone in a separate pie plate and spoon birdseed over the pine cone.  Use the tip of the spoon to push the birdseed into the "petals" of the pine cone that are coated with the cornmeal mixture.








4.  Chill on waxed paper-lined baking sheet.  After the bird seed has hardened onto the pine cones, tie ribbon, string or yarn onto the stems of the pine cones for hanging from a sturdy branch.






Pin It


Source: Company's Coming: Gifts From The Kitchen

15 comments:

Kyra @ caramelpotatoes.com said...

My Grandkids will love this!
Your newest follower via tip junkie!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

This brings back very happy memories for me as my kids did the same thing years ago for my father who loved feeding the birds. He always enjoyed receiving these as gifts as I'm sure your parents did also! Enjoy your day!

The Southern Product Queen said...

It's linky party time again! This post would be great at it if you wanna share it! Here is the link! http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party

Laura@HappyCanadianHome.com said...

Great winter craft for the kids!

Vanessa said...

This was a fun craft to do with the boys. We will probably do this again next year and save some for our birds. :)

The Southern Product Queen said...

Thank you so much for joining my linky party! This post rocks!

mommy2maddiealex said...

I remember doing these as a kid! I will have to do it with my kids since we still have some winter birds here in Nova Scotia. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

peanutbutterpumpkinpie said...

We have a lot of pine cones lying around - my daughter collects them every walk we take, so have been looking for something nice to do with them. This is a great idea.

Vanessa said...

Oh, that's great! I hope your family enjoys making them as much as we did.

Lindsi B said...

We did something similar but didn't use peanut butter...love that you did!! This is fabulous!!! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-5.html

Nicole said...

I think my daughter would love to make these! Thanks for sharing this.

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What a fun idea! Plus then the kids get the joy of watching the birds (or squirrels) come enjoy their treat! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT weekend,
Beth =-)

MiaB said...

How cool!!! I would love it if you could link this up to Sharing Saturday linky party :) Have a happy Sat.

www.mamamiasheart2heart.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday-am-thrilled-to-be.html

The Paper Princess said...

What a great project! Thanks for sharing this at Inspire Me Monday!

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.com

Carrie said...

This is a great project!! Thank you for sharing it at Sharing Saturday. I'm going to pin it and definitely try it with my daughter!