Recipe: Heart-Shaped Red Velvet Whoopie Pies With Vanilla Creme Filling



Whether you think they originated in Maine or Pennsylvania or whether you call them whoopie pies or moon pies, there is no denying the fact that there is something special about this treat.

We have come a long way from the classic whoopie pie.  Did you know that there is such a thing as a whoopie pie pan?  I came across them last fall and instantly wanted one {or two}.  And then I came to my senses and realized that it was a little bit crazy to buy a pan that I would use just once or twice a year.  Not to mention finding a place in my already-crowded kitchen to store them.

And then just a few weeks ago I found Annie's Eats and her Red Velvet Whoopie Pies.  With just a template and a pastry bag, shaped whoopie pies can be made.  And I was left wondering.  Why didn't I think of that?


Heart-Shaped Red Velvet Whoopie Pies With Vanilla Creme Filling

2 1/4 cups flour
2 tbs. cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk {or make your own}
1 tbs. liquid red food coloring

For the filling:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 cups marshmallow creme {Marshmallow Fluff}



1.  Prepare the pans: Cut two peices of parchment paper to fit two cookie sheets.  Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter or a template cut from cardstock, trace hearts onto parchment paper.  Place parchment paper upside-down on cookie sheets.

2.  Mix the batter:  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a medium bowl mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  In the bowl of your electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla extract separately, beating well after each addition.  In a small measuring cup mix the buttermilk and red food coloring.  With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour and buttermilk mixtures beating after each addition just until incorporated.



3.  Transfer the batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip (I used tip #2A from Wilton).  Pipe the batter onto the hearts on the parchment paper, leaving some room for spreading.  Bake for 6-9 minutes until center is set, rotating halfway through.  Cool completely.



4.  To make the filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and vanilla on medium speed until creamy.  Add half the confectioners' sugar and mix on low just until combined and then mix on high until smooth.  Repeat with remaining confectioners' sugar.  Scrape down sides with rubber spatula and add marshmallow creme.  Tip:  Before adding marshmallow, spray the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray to help the marshmallow come out more easily.  Mix on medium speed until filling is smooth and creamy about 3 to 4 minutes.



5.  Match up same-sized cakes and with a pastry bag and large tip, pipe filling onto one half of the cakes.  Put the other half of the cakes on top of the filling and press together slightly.



Sources: Cookies adapted from Annie's Eats and Joy of Baking.  Filling recipe from the July/August 2008 issue of Hannaford's fresh magazine




Pin It

30 comments:

Money Saving Maine-iac said...

Yumm-O!

Mindie Hilton said...

Oh these look incredible.
Besides my weekly Anything goes Fri-Monday linky, I am hosting a Valentine contest with some great prizes. I hope you will link up for a chance to win.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

Kim and Julie (Sunflower Supper Club) said...

These are darling. My husband and kids love red velvet cake so I will definitely be making these for Valentine's day. Found you on the Weekend Potluck link party. Happy to be a new follower. Thanks!

Vanessa said...

I hope your family likes these as much as we did! They can be a bit addicting. I have had one already today. :)

c.w.frosting said...

Those look dangerously delicious!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) said...

Those are adorable. I pinned them to my Valentine's board and plan to make them for my family. I love how you piped the batter to get the shape instead of doing cookie-cutters. Very smart!

Thanks for linking up at Weekend Potluck.

Vanessa said...

I love this technique...it is so much more inexpensive than buying pans and there are so many possibilities! I'm already thinking about the Superbowl and those football-shaped whoopie pies I've seen. :)

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

YUMMY in the Tummy. I hope you will link up to my I Heart Projects Party!
http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/01/i-heart-projects-linky-party.html

Chris said...

Hi Vanessa, these look so delicious. What a delightful treat for Valentine's Day. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

emily @ the happy home said...

this is brilliant! and the red came out so bold, too. what a great idea! stopped by from the "make you go mmm" party-- these looked to happy to pass up!

Clairejustine said...

These look so sweet and tasty,Thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

Debbie said...

These look wonderful!

Paula J said...

Over Christmas I made mini red velvet whoopie pies and they were yummmmy! But heart-shaped one's brings them to a whole new level :)

I'm your newest follower. If you'd like to follow back here's my link:

lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

Thanks!
Paula

Six Sisters said...

I love a good Whoopie Pie! YUM! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We hope you will come back next Saturday and share another recipe! -The Sisters

kitty said...

I love whoopie pies & these are perfect for a Valentine dessert!

MrsFoxsSweets said...

So pretty! Thanks for sharing at Mrs Foxs Sweet Party! Have a Sweet Week :)

Michael Ann said...

Very clever and they look yummy too!

Michael Ann
The Big Green Bowl

Heather McMullin said...

I would love for you to add this recipe to my Famous Linkz Party!! I have one every Wednesday.
Hugs,
Heather
www.made-famous-by.com

leanne said...

These look delish and not too difficult at all. I just may have to try em'!

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Those are great!

The Southern Product Queen said...

This is such a yummy, and cute idea for a Valentine's day treat! You must post this on my linky party that I am having again! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-s... Thanks for sharing!

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

Those are so pretty for Valentine's! And they sound delicious too!! Thanks for sharing this at Thursday's Temptation. It means a lot:)

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

These look delicious and are so pretty :) Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday, I hope to see you next week too!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

These are beautiful! Thanks for linking them to Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks for linking up, good luck at Bacon Time.

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

This looks so YUMMY! Perfect for Valentine's Day! Thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

Chatty Chics said...

Yum! Please send some down my way! These sound sooooo good! Thanks for sharing at my place!
Melody
ChattyChics.com

Amy @Consider Me Inspired said...

Those are delicious looking. I just found out about homemade whoopie pies a few months back and my family loved them. I am loving the hearts. It is very Valentiney! Lol, that may not even be a word. I wanted to stop by and take a look at your wonderful recipe and invite you to link up to my first blog hop today for "Valentine Inspirations" and this would fit PERFECTLY. http://onecreativeprocrastinatinggal.blogspot.com/

Nancy Bandzuch said...

Totally awesome. I think I might have to whip up a few of these for V-day!
Thanks for linking up to the oldies party this week--the new party will be live on Monday night.
Nancy

Jamie said...

These look really yummy =)