Create With Kids: Easter Egg Rattlesnake





We've had some rainy days here, but there has been only one thing on our 3-year old's mind this week. 

Going outside to play. 

When it was still raining out this morning and he asked me again if he could go outside, I decided to get out those plastic eggs from Easter and try this colorful Easter Egg Rattlesnakes project. 

And can you guess the first thing he wanted to do after we were finished?  Yes, he wanted to take his snake outside to play!


Supplies:
2 whole plastic eggs
15-20 plastic egg bottoms
dried beans {or safety pins, paper clips}
String, thread or embroidery floss
permanent marker





1.  Check to see if your eggs have holes in the top and the bottom.  If not, you will need to make a hole in the eggs with a drill.







2.  Start by threading the string through one of the whole eggs. 

Tie a knot at the bottom so that the egg won't slip off and add the dried beans.  Close the egg and tape it together.  Leave a long length of thread on the end and cut it.







3. Thread the egg halves onto the string.

{During this step, we were able to talk about colors and patterns.}








4.  Thread the string through the bottom and then the top of the second whole egg for the head.  Make a knot in the string and cut any remaining string, leaving 1 1/2 - 2" for the snake's tongue.  Add eyes and nostrils with a permanent marker as shown in the picture at top.


15 comments:

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

This is such a great idea! My daughter keeps asking if we can go find eggs.. I bet this will keep her entertained! :)

Vanessa said...

I think this project would be perfect for her! You could also make a caterpillar instead of the snake.

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

What a fun idea! I have quite a large bag of eggs still! and I've always wondered what those holes were for...I guess these eggs were always destined to be snakes. ;) Thanks for sharing at Teach Me Tuesday! I'm going to share this on my PreschoolPowolPackets Facebook page too!

Vanessa said...

Thanks for sharing!

Brittney said...

What a great idea! We have played with our eggs in the bathtub, put some with our play food and put some with our dinosaurs, and even lost some to our puppy, but we still have a ton left. We may have to try this!!

Vanessa said...

Oh, I think the boys would love playing with them in the bathtub. I have no idea why I didn't think of that!

Nicole said...

Hello Vanessa- what a neat project to do with kids! Especially that learning portion with the colors and patterns you mentioned- what a great learning tool while they are having fun. And, since it is after Easter, a lot of stores are selling the plastic eggs super cheap, if someone did not have any at their home. Visiting from Feminine Adventures Thrifty Thursday blog hop!

Blessings,
Nicole at Working Kansas Homemaker

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Such a cute idea! I was about to throw away the last of the Easter eggs, and am glad I saw this before I did. What a fun craft.... and I'm sure it would be fun to drag around outside.

Thanks for linking up at Thrifty Thursday!

Jenn said...

I love this! I'm so glad I didn't throw away our extra plastic eggs yet. Thank you for sharing at Thrifty Thursday!

Tulip said...

Great idea! I usually end up throwing them away because they end up all over the house. I will definitely be using this one next year. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you at True Aim.

Emily said...

I've been wondering what on earth I was going to do with all those extra eggs this year- brilliant!

Emily @www.simplelittlehome.com

Vanessa said...

Emily, Glad I could help. :)

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

That little snake is adorable! What a great way to use those plastic Easter eggs.

Thanks for linking up to our Finished Friday blog party.

Yoli N. said...

What a great way to reuse those plastic eggs! Found you through the Friday Blog Hop...

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Thanks for linking up last week! Im sharing this on my twitter and facebook today! Make sure to grab a featured button tomorrow :)