My husband loves chocolate chip cookies and I thought it would be fun to surprise him with chocolate chip Valentine cookies.
This shortbread-like dough works well in place of traditional chocolate chip cookie dough which is too soft to make shaped cookies.
Chocolate-Dipped Chocolate Chip Heart Cookies
Makes: approx. 4 dozen 2" cookies
Make ahead: Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg yolk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup (12 oz.) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
1 tbs. shortening
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and salt until creamy. Beat in egg yolk and gradually add flour. Stir in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips.
2. Divide dough in half, cover and chill for at least 1 hour. If the dough is too hard for rolling and crumbly after chilling, work it in your hands until softened and smooth.
4. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. After the cookies have cooled on the baking sheets, move to wire racks to cool completely.
Tip: For soft cookies, watch the cookies carefully while they are baking and remove them from the oven as soon as the tops are set and the bottoms turn light golden brown.
5. In a microwave safe bowl, melt milk chocolate chips (or remaining mini chips) and 1 tbs. of shortening in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and continue to heat at 10 second intervals if needed until chocolate is smooth.
6. Dip one half of cookie in the chocolate and scrape the bottom of the cookie across the edge of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate. Place cookies on wax paper until chocolate has hardened.
Adapted from Very Best Baking
Sharing with these parties
You might also like: Heart-Shaped Red Velvet Whoopie Pies